It’s Wednesday, so you know what that means…it’s another round of confessions with Kathy from Vodka and Soda!
As I may have mentioned (like once-give me a break), we just got back from a little trip. I love to travel…discover new places,
gorge on eat new foods, try new beers. What I hate most about travel? Getting to the destination. That jerk who said it’s the journey not the destination has never had a layover in Reagan. So, let me just dive right into some of my top pet peeves when traveling via air:
- People who crowd me and/or stand too close in line. You touching me is not moving the line any quicker. What it will get you is a bump with my carry-on. It’s called personal space people…respect it!
- Children. I realize that people need to get their children from point A to point B…I just wish I could avoid having to be a party to that process. Can’t Disney open an airline, and let the rest of us schmucks travel in peace? I have witnessed some extremely well behaved children and seen it done right, but I’ve also witnessed some nightmares. This rant requires sub-points:
- A two- or three-year old cannot carry their own carry-on bag…don’t give them one…even if it has Nemo on it. Anything you need for your child, you should be able to carry yourself instead of letting a child navigate a busy airport with their own luggage. Common sense…it’s called common sense!
- Loud obnoxious toys. Why would you think bringing a toy that makes 500 loud dings, bongs, and alarms would be the toy of choice for an enclosed space with strangers? WHY (shakes fist in anger)? Yeah, you should really be shocked when people don’t react well to that. Idiot.
- Then there is just the torture of having to witness bad parenting. Yes, I’m not a parent and I try not to judge those of you who are, but there is a line. I actually saw this woman repeatedly apologizing to her daughter, because she couldn’t finish her game, because it was time to get up and board the plane. Like more than once, saying “yes, honey I’m sorry we interrupted the game but it was time”, “I know it is upsetting and you hate to be rushed”. I was rolling my eyes so hard I was sure they might pop out. I cannot imagine the level of brat that child is, if her mom treats her like that for every movement they make in life.
The above is from The Oatmeal…if you have never read any of his comics…you should!! In other travel related humor he also offers “The Crap We Put Up With Getting On and Off An Airplane”.
- People who put their luggage in the overhead bin not located over their seat. I don’t mean when it is necessary. I mean when they are getting on and have not even gotten to their seat, but just decide to pick a bin at random and pop it in there. It causes further chaos and more time for the flight to unload because they have to stop in the middle of the plane to get their random bag. There is a logical system folks…follow it.
- People who request to move because they did not plan accordingly. Sure, it is fine to ask to switch seats with another single traveler so you can sit with your spouse or kid, but don’t ask someone who is obviously a couple to switch. Right, I planned accordingly so that I can sit next to my husband, and you did not, but you think I should switch anyway…not happening. Also, if it was that imperative, then you should have called the airline to see if you could make a change before boarding the plane.
The title to this was “Zero F**cks Given”…yup that is about how I feel about your seat change. Do you think if this happened more, people would be less likely to bring their children to the airport? (umm…ideas)
P.S….I’m participating in another giveaway this time with the Nectar Collective!