- I love David Sedaris, I find his writing to be hilarious, just hilarious. I shared one of my favorite David Sedaris tales in this post. When P sent me Sedaris’ take on the Fitbit in the New Yorker, I just had to share. Here is a little part of the piece (click on the reference for full post). I feel like this could happen to me if I got a Fitbit…but maybe that would not be such a bad thing.
“Shortly after I decided on a typeface, for reasons I cannot determine my Fitbit died. I was devastated when I tapped the broadest part of it and the little dots failed to appear. Then I felt a great sense of freedom. It seemed that my life was now my own again. But was it? Walking twenty-five miles, or even running up the stairs and back, suddenly seemed pointless, since, without the steps being counted and registered, what use were they? I lasted five hours before I ordered a replacement, express delivery. It arrived the following afternoon, and my hands shook as I tore open the box. Ten minutes later, my new master strapped securely around my left wrist, I was out the door, racing, practically running, to make up for lost time.” –David Sedaris, “Stepping Out”, New Yorker, June 2014
- I not terribly convinced that George R.R. Martin is going to finish the Game of Thrones series (A Song of Fire and Ice). For a while I boycotted the TV series until he finished the book series. Then I faced facts and have resolved myself to the fact that HBO is more likely to finish the series than Martin. Having read all the current books, the story is not really wrapping up, if anything I feel like it is spreading even further out. It drives me mad that there is no expected release date for the next book…what is he working on?! I saw this post, where basically you can donate $20,000 and he will write you into his next book…seriously, seriously he has time to develop and kill a whole new character!! Though I did feel a bit vindicated when the article mentioned the fear of him never delivering. Thoughts? Am I the only with this concern?
- Now, this one is a bit of a stretch in using the term “literary” but hey, it’s my blog and I do what I want 🙂 Have you read/seen the Cat versus Dog Diary? I could not figure out the original source, it has been around for years. Our friend R, shared this YouTube version with us and the voice is just perfect! Speaking of funny animal reads, did you catch Steph’s (Life According to Steph) post “My Dog Can Tell Time”. I like to call the post “The A-hole Wakeup Committee”.
And to make this seem more like a real confession here are a few:
- I did not really like the Twilight series. Maybe it is because I’m old but it’s team Lestat for me. The Witching Hour (Mayfair witches series) by Anne Rice is one of my favorite books in that genre.
- I’ve never read Fifty Shades of Grey and don’t really plan on it. The closest thing to a “romance novel” that I have read is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
- I really like Stephen King books, but I don’t like some of the ones that are the popular movies (like Pet Cemetery, Carrie). I’ve read the whole Dark Tower series, and was totally hooked.
It’s Wednesday, so you know where all the cool kids are linking-up at…